This trip is a result of being awarded a Nuffield scholarship

This trip is a result of  being awarded a Nuffield scholarship
There are 1300 scholars world wide who are expected to share their knowledge with fellow farmers and the wider industry

The family

The family

Saturday, March 12, 2011

The title is What is the value of agriculture?? But what do I think about this now

Well our contempery scholars conference is over and we are off to Brazil. All the Brits canadians and French and Dutch have gone and the Aussies are now boarding the plane to Brazil. We have learnt so much. Im clearler on lots of concepts that have been confusing for me like subsidies and free trade and how it all works and why there is so much controversy on the subject but I'm more confused that clear. Its buzzar. So I beleive I know a lot more but its shown me how much more I need to understand.
I have been exposed to the hard nosed ecconomic stategies and arguments and then challenged by the social element of feeding the 9 billion by 2050. Then there is the environmental demand that needs to be accomadated. Ihave so many thoughts that at this point look something like a spagetti bowl of my thoughts.
So what is the value of Agriculture. Well with what has been going on in Japan whist we have been hear in NZ its probably a good time to reflect on the improtance of the fundamental needs of human beings and the social responsibility to feed them. Agriculutre may not at this point command a price that allows profitability to be garanteed but its so bloodly improtant to gow food right acrros the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment